New residents to the state of Washington must license their personal vehicles within 30 days. The same is true for residents who purchase vehicles outside the state.
Time Required: 2 hours or more
- If you reside in Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish or Spokane counties, your vehicle must pass an emissions test. There are several emission test stations located throughout the county. Depending on the time of day, lines can be quite long.
- The emission test fee is $15 and may be paid in cash, by local check, or with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. No bill larger than $50 is accepted.
- Once you have passed the test, take the following information to an official licensing office: (1) current title and registration, (2) certification that your vehicle has passed WA emission testing, (3) current odometer reading from your vehicle, (4) cash or check for your registration fee.
- All registered owners must be present.
- You will receive both a front and a back licence plate to place on your vehicle. The yearly tab must be placed on the back plate.
- Emission tests from other states are not recognized.
- Inspection by the Washington State Patrol is no longer required.
- Warm vehicle by driving at least 15 miles on the freeway prior to getting in line for emission testing. Don't turn your vehicle off until you are told to do so.