When it is cold and gray for days on end, sometimes you just want to stay in bed all day. Winter depression affects over 50% of us; Pacific Northwest residents are particularly at risk. If you are looking for ways to fight off seasonal affective disorder, these tips will help.
Time Required: n/a
- Try to expose your eyes to natural light everyday. You can either spend time outside, or near a window that is receiving direct light. Do not wear sunglasses.
- Take advantage of special lights that are available to assist people with SAD. You can purchase these lights in a number of forms, including bulbs, dawn simulators, and light boxes.
- Supplements such as B-complex vitamins, taken daily, can help improve your energy level. Vitamin D and Selenium can also be beneficial.
- Avoid eating foods high in simple carbohydrates, which can zap your energy.
- Increase your energy and get natural light at the same time by taking a walk outdoors.
- If your symptoms continue, or are affecting your quality of life, be sure to consult your personal physician.